Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Feminist Divorce

“You’re overreacting,” he said.
I hung my head in shame.
That doesn't happen anymore, he declared
I nodded and climbed into bed.
I bit my tongue,
And strangled my voice
‘Cause He doesn't want to hear
And so, I let him do everything
He said wasn't possible.

My mind tangled words,
One fighting to remain hidden,
The other for freedom:
Until he raised his hands upon my cheek
And colored my eyes a pretty purple.
My courage surged a hairline fracture
“I want a divorce.”
No one will believe you, he raged
I cringed and believed.
So I took the dog
(He took the house)
And with a sharp needle and thread,
Sewed my words inside my mouth,
And went on with my life.

People would see a glimpse of fatigue,
And ask for assurance that I was okay,
I’d smile and nod, Just fine! I’d respond
Even though they’d already gone.
Every blank interaction, a struggle ensued
As they pulled at the sutures
Craving to be heard.
And as they ripped free
Leaving me bloody and raw,
I’d swallow them whole,
Since no one wanted to know.

And then one day,
My sister pointed at me.
“You’re haunted!”
Those words, long dead,
Still followed me.
My body rumbled, my stomach clenched
Until I vomited them out.
And She was there,
Sifting through the jumble
Until the last one emerged,
Dragging with it a sigh.
And with the struggle finally over,
Power surged.
So I called him up:
“Fuck you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment